Transportation & Metro Madrid
Transportation Madrid is the best in Europe. (Metro, public buses and Renfe also trains) and a relatively cheap and abundant taxi service. We would like to inform you of public transportation in Madrid, there are monthly public transportation passes at affordable prices that allow for unlimited traveling in different modes of transportation within their zones. The monthly pass for the city center costs around 55€ between 110€. If you are under 23 years, you will be able to save money. One round metro cost 1,50€ which is cheap in Europe. Get settled your metro card.
● Request your card online, or in person at our office when you arrive.
● The city of Madrid has a great public transit system, and it will save you time and money if you have your card ready.
● Ticket prices vary by transportation zone, but they begin at 1,50€ for Metro/Bus, not including Cercanias
● 10 trip tickets Metro/bus 12,20€, not including Cercanias
How to get Abono Transportation-Metro Card
These are the documents you need to get your transportation monthly card: Application form (www.tarjetatransportepublico.es)
- A standard passport-sized photo (which you can get at the photo booths in most metro stations, Sol Metro)
- EU ID, residence ID, or passport (photocopy)
- There is a one-time fee 4€
Once you have prepared these three things, you have two options to process your abono.
- The first option is the easiest if you don’t speak the language–you can make an online request, you’ll be asked to upload all three required files. Once they process your request, your card will be sent to your address in less than 20 days.
- The second option is a bit faster–make an appointment on the internet or by calling 012 (press 4; calling hours M-F from 8 am to 10 pm). Then, choose a place, day, and time. At the appointment, you will hand in the three documents in person, and they will tell you how many days you should return to pick up your Metro abono card (from 1-3 weeks).
In my opinion, the first option (online) is the best because you won’t have to waste your precious time waiting on line.
If you have any questions during the application process you can email (in Spanish or English) the customer attention service of the Consorcio de Transporte de Madrid: email@example.com